How much should you pay for a dry basement?
If you’ve ever dealt with a flooded basement, you know how messy, damaging and disruptive it can be. Knowing that your basement will stay dry definitely gives you a good feeling. But how much should you have to pay for that feeling? Keep reading to learn how to fairly compare waterproofing costs.
Important: Every basement is different
Don’t accept a “one-size-fits-all” waterproofing treatment, which some contractors provide in order to keep prices low. There are many variables that need to be considered when designing your basement waterproofing system: soil and site conditions, the way you plan to use your basement and your basement’s size, shape and construction details -just for starters.
You’ll also want to consider the importance of battery backup capability to keep your waterproofing system operational when there’s a power outage.
Questions to ask when comparing basement waterproofing costs
- Does the contractor provide a dry basement warranty?
- What will the completed system look like?
- Will the waterproofing system make it more difficult to finish or remodel the basement?
- Will the basement waterproofing system work when there’s a power outage?
- What are my options to dehumidify the basement to remove dampness?
- In cold weather, can the discharge line freeze and cause backup flooding?
- Is the waterproofing system compatible with a radon mitigation system that is or might be installed in the basement?
- Does the installer also provide maintenance and repair of the waterproofing system?